Friday, May 22, 2009

Breeding for Winter hardy yellows: 09-07-11


In recent years the creation of improved "landscape friendly" shrubs for cold climates has become more of an aspect of my work. To that end, I made a cross in 2007 of 'Golden Angel' X 'John Davis'. I have noted that 'Golden Angel' has bred not only some very disease resistant varieties ('Apricot Twist' is nearly 100% immune to Blackspot and Mildew) but also has the potential for breeding cold climate yellows, seeing as its seed parent was the Brownell climber 'Golden Glow'.

Here is one of about 14 seedlings I obtained last year from this cross of 'Golden Angel' X 'John Davis'. In my wildest dreams I did not imagine getting a yellow as clear and strong as this. (Bloom is about 2/3 open. I will photograph it again later, and get a shot of the plant also) As was expected, this group did not bloom in their first year, as these types of seedlings tend not to have any juvenile remontancy. These first flowers are not large, about 2" across, but the plant appears to have superior architecture and the foliage is very beautiful, with a nearly species-like look: dark green, matte and a bluish sheen. There are two other yellows from this group so far and several still to bloom. This is very exciting as these may prove to be useful in the breeding of good yellow disease free shrubs for locations with harsh Winters.

Very busy day, so I can't go into any more detail. I hope to get another photo later today. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice Paul, yellow with the possibility of cold-hardiness and disease-resistance. I really like the contrast of the bloom with that wonderful looking foliage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, where do you think 'Apricot Twist' got it's disease resistance from? We can get 'Golden Glow' here but not, that I have found yet, 'Sequoia Gold' (though it might be in the Ruston's catalogue... haven't checked yet).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! That's a really beautiful yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rideau Rose Lad (Rick Sauder)May 23, 2009 at 5:40 AM

    Hello Paul, I am following your new blog with great interest and am thrilled that you are turning your talents to cold hardy roses. It is an area that has much potential but has been sadly neglected since the demise of the government of Canada rose breeding programs.

    I know you have used some of David Austin's roses in your work, and am wondering if you have ever considered introducing that line into your cold hardy breeding program.

    Several DA roses perform very well for me here in zone 4 with respect to hardiness, vigour and health. Including two of his yellow roses.

    Crocus Rose and Teasing Georgia are both suprisingly hardy and survive temperatures of -30C with live cane to just below the snow line. In the pink spectrum, Lilian Austin and St. Swithun thrive here, St. Swithun especially so.

    I'm not a hybridizer, yet, but have a great interest in the art. So please accept this comment as it is meant, as potentially useful information you may wish to consider.

    Now if only some of your wonderful roses were available to those of us in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the exact same cross last year but my Golden Angel was not established yet so nothing took on it.

    ReplyDelete